Summer’s here, which means more get-togethers, happy hours … and cocktails! We asked Danielle Garonce, a Studio (MDR) client — and amazing chef — for a healthy cocktail recipe. She found this one on one of her favorite food blogs. Cheers!
Blood orange margarita ice blocks with lime salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 cups orange-flavored sparkling water
- 2 tablespoons Cointreau or other orange liqueur
- ¼ cup tequila
- 1/4 cup lime juice (plus wedges to serve)
- Finely grated zest of 1 lime, plus ¼ cup
- 1 tablespoon sea salt flakes
1. Combine sugar and ¼ cup water in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring for 2-3 minutes until sugar has dissolved. Increase heat to medium and simmer for 1-2 minutes until slightly syrupy. Transfer the syrup to a large heatproof bowl and allow to cool.
2. Place the orange-flavored sparkling water in a large bowl and lightly whisk to
remove the bubbles. Stir in the cooled sugar syrup and add the Cointreau, tequila, and lime juice. Transfer mixture to a jug.
3. Carefully pour mixture into popsicle molds, leaving some room at the top to allow for the pops to expand as they freeze. Freeze for 8 hours or overnight.
4. To serve, combine the lime zest and salt flakes in a small bowl. Run the molds
under water to release the ice pops, then serve with the lime salt and lime wedges.